Pages

Friday, February 23, 2018

New Zealand Track Star Camille Buscomb

Today we speak with New Zealand Track Star, Camille Buscomb.  Camille is currently preparing for the 5000m and 10000m events at the Commonwealth Games and as you’ll see in question 4 she has an amazing attitude when it comes to training.  I also want to point out her diet, many of our athletes are struggling to reach their goals and most of the time it all comes down to food.  Pay attention to her answer for question 5, ATHLETES NEED FOOD!

Good luck with your upcoming races Camille, and thanks for taking the time to speak with us.

1: How did you get started in your Sport?
I first started athletics when I was 5 years old. I have always loved competing in different sports, but I loved the pure competitiveness of running, the feeling of racing and the option to push yourself beyond barriers. A dream of mine has always been to compete at the World Champs, Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games and to represent New Zealand so the goals themselves also helped in getting me started.

2: What was a major struggle for your training and/or success
Finding a balance of training that works well for me has been challenging. It can be easy to over do it and end up racing fatigued or getting sick. I have struggled with sickness in the past and not until the last 2 years have I really been able to get on top of this and find a balance of the type of training where my body stays healthy whilst also continuing to improve.

3: What is your current goal
To have a top performance at the Commonwealth Games. I am competing in both the 5000m and 10000m events and to be able to be right up there at the top of the field is what I am really working towards and have been working towards for some time now.

4:  What advice would you give a young athlete?
Be consistent with your training, and look after yourself. The more consistent you can be with years and years of gradually increasing your training load, and the healthier you are the faster you will run long term. Don't cut any corners, and try to have some balance. Keep the love for the sport, for training and by looking after yourself you will reap the benefits of a much higher level of racing for a longer period of time. Try not to be overly strict on yourself with eating clean, and make sure to reward yourself along the way, also be happy with each small success as they are stepping stones for bigger performances in the future.

5:  How big of a role is nutrition when it comes to your training?
Nutrition is very important. Eating enough is the main problem that many athletes have. With so much training in a given day it is really important to eat enough to replace the energy output. I find that this really helps me to stay healthy, and to be able to continue training at a high level. I eat a very balanced diet including a lot of meat, dairy products, eggs, fruits and vegetables and a high amount of carbohydrates also. Including breads, pastas, potatoes etc. I try not to have a meal without carbohydrates. I don't eat anything with low fat, or artificial sweeteners and I find the balance eating enough foods rich in fats and nutrients and energy combines well with the type of high volume training that I am doing. I never allow myself to be too hungry and would rather over eat as in the end you will burn it off and it will help you recover quicker for the next session, next week etc.







No comments:

Post a Comment